Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
Yield: 2 servings
0.5 cup flour
0.5 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425F with a cast iron skillet or an oven safe skillet inside.
- In a food processor or a bowl, mix together the flour, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, sugar and salt.
- Zest the lemon and add to the mixture. This will add a light lemony note and zing to the pancake.
- When the oven is preheated, carefully take out the cast iron and add the butter to it. Swirl the pan around to evenly coat with the butter.
- Pour the batter mixture to the hot pan, swirl around to evenly distribute.
- Put the pan back to the oven and cook for 16-20 mins. The pancake will puff up as it cooks.
- Serve hot immediately as it will deflate when cool.
The Dutch Baby pancake can be served with fresh fruits, jam or any topping you’d like. I highly recommend squeezing the juice of a full lemon onto it as it comes out the oven. The contrast of lemony, zingy and zesty flavour balances out whatever sweet toppings you decide to add to the pancake itself.