Preparation Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 4 hours 20 mins
Yield: 4 servings
800g Korean short ribs
7 tbsp soy sauce
3.5 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp mirin (rice wine)
2 tbsp grated Asian pear, or regular apple
2 tbsp grated onion
1.5 tbsp minced garlic
1.5 tsp grated ginger
4 sprinkles of ground black pepper
2 tsp salt
- Prepare the meat by washing it carefully. Soak the meat in cold water for at least 30 mins to get rid of all the blood and impurity.
- While waiting for the meat, make the marinade by combining the soy sauce, mirin, grated pear, onion, garlic, ginger, black pepper and salt. You can use a blender or food processor to mix everything together.
- Once the meat is done soaking, rinse, and put in a clean bowl. Add the marinade mixture and massage to coat all the pieces evenly.
- Cover and let it rest in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours or even overnight.
- When ready to cook, take the meat out 15-20 mins so it can come up to room temp.
- Heat a cast iron or thick bottom skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and cook the meat until brown both side, about 5 mins each side. Watch the meat carefully as the sugar in the marinade caramelize easily and can burn quickly. Note: cook in batches to avoid crowding the pan. This will allow the meat to brown individually and sear properly. Overcrowding will steam the meat instead.
- Let the cooked meet rest for 10 mins before serving.