Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Cook Time: 22 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 52 mins
Yield: 8 bagels
6g active dry yeast
15g honey (plus 50g for boiling)
400g all purpose flour
8g kosher salt
Optional: Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or any topping you prefer.
- In a bowl, add the yeast and water together. Whisk to dissolve then add 15g of honey. Let the yeast mixture sit for 10 mins so the yeast can activate.
- Mix in the flour and salt to combine. Knead the dough for 10-12 mins until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough and rest for 1 hour. It should double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 475F.
- Transfer the dough onto the counter or work surface and portion to 8 equal pieces, roughly 80g per piece.
- Roll each piece into a rope about 15cm long. Wrap the dough around your hand and connect the 2 end pieces. Roll to seal the seam.
- Cover the shaped bagels with a clean kitchen towel and let them rest for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, get a pot of water boiling then add 50g of honey.
- Set up your work station to be an assembly line: the dough, baking sheet lined with parchment paper, boiling pot of water, a bowl of bagel toppings if you choose to add.
- Start with dropping each bagel into the water and cook for 1-2 mins per side. Cook only 1 or 2 at a time.
- Then, fish out the boiled bagel and drop them onto the toppings (if you choose to). Make sure both sides are coated. Then, add the coated bagels to the lined baking sheet.
- Repeat until all the bagels are boiled and coated with toppings.
- Bake the bagel for 20 mins until golden brown.
- Let them rest on a cooling rack until cool. Store the bagels in a tight Ziplock bag for up to a week, or freeze them up to 2 months.