Preparation Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 2 hours 10 mins
Yield: 8 pitas
1 cup warm water
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2.5 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1.5 tsp salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Mix in half of the flour. Stir and let it sit for 15 mins until it foams up.
- Add olive oil, salt and the remaining flour to the mixture and combine well until a shaggy dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for 7-10 mins until it’s smooth and elastic. Add a bit more flour if it’s too sticky.
- Coat a clean bowl with a bit of olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, cover and let it rest for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, dough should be doubled in size. Dust the working surface with flour. Transfer the dough out and divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
- Cover the dough balls with a clean kitchen towel and leave them to rest for 10 mins.
- Heat a cast iron or thick bottom skillet on high heat. Roll each ball out to a flat disk, about 0.5cm thick. Cook each pita in the skillet for about 2-3 mins per side. The pita should puff up when cooked.
- Transfer the cooked pita into a bowl lined with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Repeat and cook the rest of the pita.
If you are not cooking the dough at once, cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge up to 3 days, or the freezer up to 2-3 weeks. Simply let them come to room temp before cooking. Pita will still be soft and pillowy.
Greek chicken wrapped in warm, pilowy pita. Yum! 😊