Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Yield: 10 pretzels
360 ml warm water
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup baking soda
9 cups water
- Combine yeast and water in a bowl and let it set for 10 mins to activate.
- Add salt, sugar and butter to the yeast mixture.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time and mix to combine. If the dough is very wet, you can add up to 3/4 cup of more flour until the dough is workable.
- Knead the dough for 8 mins until smooth.
- Shape the dough into 10 balls, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let them rest for 10 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Prepare the soda bath by boiling 9 cups of water, then add the baking soda.
- Line up the baking tray, soda bath and the rested dough in an assembly line to be efficient.
- Start by rolling out each ball to a log about 15cm, then twist both end to create the pretzel shape.
- Drop the pretzel in the soda bath for a 1 min each side.
- Take the pretzel out of the bath and put onto the baking tray.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the dough.
- If you’d like, you can sprinkle coarse sea salt onto the pretzel before baking.
- Bake the pretzels in the oven for 10-15 mins until golden brown.
- (Optional) If you like sweet pretzel, melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter. Once the pretzels come out of the oven, brush the butter over the pretzels and sprinkle sugar on top.