Preparation Time: 40 mins
Yield: 8 servings
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1 2/3 cup heavy cream, cold
14 oz mascapone cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups brewed espresso
36-40 ladyfingers biscuits
Cocoa powder for dusting
- Make the espresso and set aside to cool.
- Add the egg yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl and set over a pot with simmering water. Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Whisk constantly until the egg yolk mixture thickened to a custard consistency. Remove the bowl and let it cool.
- Once cool down, add the mascapone, vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the heavy cream to stiff peak. Fold 1/3 of the whipped cream to the mascapone mixture, mix gently until combined. Fold in the rest of the whipped cream.
- To assemble, dip each ladyfinger in the espesso no more than 1-2 seconds (or else they will get very soggy), lay them down to cover a bottom of a 9×13 inch pan. Pour inn half of the mascapone filling, spread evenly. Repeat to create another layer.
- Cover and let it rest in the fridge at least 6 hours, or better overnight.
- Dust with cocoa powder when you’re ready to serve.